Tuesday 16 April 2013

there must be a better way!


I have spent the day crawling around on the dining room floor trying to pin together the three layers of my quilt. 

 
This is my least favourite stage of quilt making.  To start with it is always difficult to find a large enough space to spread out the whole fabric. Then getting the fabric completely flat and wrinkle-free on each successive layer is a difficult and deeply frustrating process.  Several times I had to completely lift the top fabric and start again because as I spread it out I found that it was extending past the edge of the backing fabric.  Once satisfied with the layering I then needed to pin the three layers together.  Overall it is a very physical and actually quite painful process – despite the use of that cushion, my knees will take a while to recover!
 
 
The remarkable Lucy Boston (who wrote the Green Knowe children's books) was still making quilts into her eighties, hand-quilting them at ten stitches per inch, so how did she manage the layering process?  I can’t imagine many octogenarians being able to scramble around on their knees as I was today.  If there are any quilt-makers out there who can give me some advice, I shall be glad to hear it.

5 comments:

  1. This is real labour of love ... and pain! I look forward to seeing the finished article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I absolutely HATE this stage too! Could curved safety pins help? One US site recommends spray adhesive, but I can't find the one they use in the UK and am not brave enough to risk ruining everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I must get hold of some curved safety pins. I saw something recently on a UK blog about adhesive spray, but I'm reluctant to use chemical sprays - especially on something I might want to put on the bed.

      Delete
  3. hi, i can no longer scrabble around on the floor to layer my quilts and was a bit stuck until i read a post somewhere by a lady who does hers on her ironing board ! i did not try that but have now done two using the curved safety pins on my 6 seater dining table. i find it much easier than i ever did on the floor and wish i'd thought of it earlier.
    good luck susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan, that sounds worth a try for next time. I must definitely get hold of some curved safety pins too.

      Delete